Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I can't post as fast as plants grow.

Every day there is something new and I feel like if I don't post each day I will miss something! So, not a lot for words today, just a lot of going-ons.

Before & on Memorial Day: Events
 
Before and After 
I get so repulsively excited when Stinkhorns pop up in the yard! Immediately upon opening the back door I KNEW it was there. Just follow your nose. The flies found it and removed the spores in no time flat. See the brown mass on the first photo and then gone on the second?The next day the fungus was gone, like it never happened. Fleeting natural events. Since I'm in charge of celebrations today I celebrate the Stinkhorn.

I bought a successive broccoli seed mix from Territorial Seed this year. Several of the varieties bolted quickly. Instead of wasting the food plant I collected the leaves, stems and flowers and made a stir-fry with them. It was completely satisfying. If this happens to your plants- just eat it!
  When life hands you bolted broccoli
                                                                               just eat it. 

Our lovely bolted broccoli stir fry, fresh strawberries and salad from the garden. 

What do you do when you have leftover cucumber & melon seedlings, but no place to put them?
You make a new bed!         
 Below: outline the bed with a shovel & sticks        

 Put a thick layer of newspaper & straw down
 Make depressions in the straw, add compost, plant seedlings.
Wa-la = new bed with more plants. Who needs grass, anyway?

Food in Jars
                   



The folks brought over some surplus berries = freezer jam.


1 head of local cabbage + 2 shredded carrots + salt + caraway = future sauerkraut.



I easily forget that NOW is the perfect time to harvest, dry and store some herbs, like chives & oregano. Done.








Garden at the Back Porch
 Relocated water fountain

 Pot of Browalia & Rosemary

 New wall plant hanger- from Freuhlingsfest with  
Goblin-fingered jade
 This year I did fewer porch pots and am trying annuals and herb combos.
Here I have Curry plant, Lavender, Berggarten Sage and petunias.

New- Verbena- Glandularia bipinnatifida
(say that twice)
The "Old" Garden
 Doing fine. Looking Good.
The Broccoli & Carrot bed.
Das Biergarten
 Salvia "Caradonna" Catmint & Perennial Cornflowers in bloom.
Centaurea dealtbata- Perennial Cornflower
Grown from seed- Thompson & Morgan (source)
Skyward Caradonna
 Memorial Day visitors: this Lovely Black Rat Snake and
a smaller, possibly Water Snake, near the garden. 
Third snake of the season. Three different species!
Happy Snake Day! 
First Harvest:
 These petite snow peas were accidentally purchased from Baker's Creek. They grew fast, short and were productive, but I don't LOVE snow peas. I would have rather grown snaps. Oh well. They aren't being wasted. 

First Serviceberries are coming in- the robins told me so. I wish they would just eat the ones I can't reach and save the "low hanging fruit" for me. 
 

The rose: Is it Cecile Brunner? I can't remember. She is lovely and oh so aromatic. She lost the support of the old dead peach tree this year, but doesn't appear to have suffered.

 She flushes in bloom

See her behind the prairie? She's huge!
In other bloom news:
 The torch lily by the veg garden.

 The Coreopsis I started from seed last year- first bloom.
Above & below.
 Missouri Primrose
 Clematis- violacea
 I can't get enough of the diversity in these
old fashioned petunias that appear each day.

A friend sent me this tshirt idea. 
I love a good play on words. 
This is my BIO...TCH face.
The "Old" Garden behind me. 

This garden needs to slow down a bit.




No comments: