Sunday, November 13, 2011

Killer Frost November 12

The Summer garden is officially over- almost an entire month after the expected due date. It is kind of a relief. Like when you scuff your new shoes or get your first ding in your new car. Whew. I've been waiting for that to happen for a long time. Now, it is officially the Fall garden season or at least for another month or so.
My Bhut Jolokia never got to ripen, but I got a nice harvest of fruits nonetheless. As if I needed a bowl full of the hottest chilies in the world. Really. The final 3 Black Mission figs and a small collection of random potatoes I discovered while turning the soil with the help of the chickens were harvested today.

I can't say that I follow any one gardening dogma, but I like many of the concepts of permaculture. That is, permanent agriculture. It utilizes ecological principles in designing your garden and that I like. I tore out a fading-to-aster-monoculture flower bed recently and decided to put in a permanent raised bed using some leftover mulberry logs from a downed tree (using recycled materials is also a concept of permaculture). I dumped a load of maple leaves in it. I should have the bed enclosed shortly as the other half of the tree fell in a crazy wind we had recently. I'm thinking of filling this bed with a permanent small fruit- maybe dwarf blueberries or maybe currents. Not sure yet. Here's what it looks like so far:

My carrots (from saved seed) are doing well, even after an accidental invasion by the chickens.

The ladies are generally helpful, but you have to keep them out of fragile areas- newly sown beds, young beds, veg gardens, flower beds. They don't care that you like zinnias. If there is a bug or seed to be had zinnias are not their concern.
Scarlet. Generally helpful.

Newest Squatter- Smokie. Generally not helpful.
While I am not in favor of outdoor cats we do not live right next to the street, there is no vacancy in the cat Inn (which is to say, my house) and Smokie has deformed hind legs which means he can't catch or kill anything that isn't already maimed as well. He's also intimidated and chased by the chickens. So, he stays.  

Another scary site- it is presently 74 degrees and the bees are active, although there isn't much yet blooming. Perhaps a few stray goldenrod and asters. 

Well, it was a gorgeous extended weekend. Lots of sun, winds and 60-70's temps. I got to do some of my favorite things- hike at Fults Hill Prairie, honeysuckle clean-up at Stemler Woods, plant 900 allium bulbs along the main drag in town and work outside in my yard. It doesn't get much better than this.

I'll leave you with one of my thoughts and lessons for today:

hmmm. I'm not sure I'm suppose to eat this.
(moral: probably best to spit it out)




No comments: