Monday, June 27, 2011

I didn't know...

that I could like lemon in my savory food so much! I've been making variations of this recipe based on whatever is in the garden at the time. It's called Spaghetti with Asparagus, Shiitake Mushrooms, Chives and Lemon. Since we are getting out of Asparagus season my green substitute is Lamb's Quarter. I sub button mushrooms for Shiitake and leeks for the shallots and chives. Also, since it has lemon zest and lemon juice I one upped it with some Lemon Basil. Oh, yes I did. I'm pretty much thinking this is going to be my "go to" recipe for the summer. It's super easy and everyone likes it.
(left to right) Lemon Basil, Shrooms, Lamb's Quarter

And on a side note, while I was cooking it occurred to me that there are a few times when it won't matter what you make and it will still taste awesome- when you're camping, canoeing or hiking and when you're intoxicated.  Speaking of that- I recommend this summer drink- Pineapple Juice and Orange Vodka. That being said, if you are enjoying this summer drink while cooking this recipe don't be surprised if you miss some lemon seeds and the dish is crunchier than it should be. It won't taste bad (see caveat just mentioned), but the texture will be different. 

I also didn't know before this summer that I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Basil Seed Mix from now on. Who knew out of one packet I would get so many different and unique basils? I can tell I have Italian, Lemon, Lettuce-leaf, Globe, Licorice and a Thai. I'm sure there are others, but each one has it's own use and I don't get tired of any of them. Today I picked out what appeared to be the Thai basil. I can id them because of their purplish stems. It's probably 2 varieties, because one has a deeper purple stem than the other, but both are definitely anise flavored so I'm drying them together for some SE Asian food over winter. I think the mix is from Pinetree


And lastly, I didn't know this bug would lay its eggs on glass. It's a Green Stink Bug or Green Soldier Bug. It sucks plant juices for food.  It laid these eggs in a neat pattern. We will let you know their progress...

We always learn when someone comes up with a different answer. Find out something you didn't know this summer....

2 comments:

Holly said...

We loved that recipe, too! Your version sounds great! I don't think I have ever had lamb's quarter. Same as purslane, right? I am making some soba noodles tonight; I'll let you know if it is yum. I am still on the bourbon for cocktails; old fashioneds made with fresh bing cherries. So good! Your basil varieties sound really interesting. What is the lettuce leaf basil like?

p.s. You get the coolest little buggy visitors :)

Laura said...

Purslane is a succulent creeper. Lamb's Quarter is a HUGE weed with silvery-gray leaves. You can use the lettuce-leaf basil as a leaf to stuff (like cabbage rolls). I haven't used it for that before, but as the name implies it can get big. Old-fashioneds = yum!