Saturday, July 2, 2011

What to do with Abundance: Overgrown Cukes & Summer Squash

It is all too easy to miss a stray cucumber here or a zucchini there. Don't beat yourself up over it! When life hands you cucumbers, make pickles. I have this super easy and quick fridgerator pickle recipe that I got from Martha Stewart. I know, you didn't think I knew who she was, right? They are called Dill Pickle Chips. A friend of mine has a slightly easier recipe (if that is possible) and they only cure 2 days in the fridge. I'm testing that one now. You can tell in this pic that I REALLY missed one of the cukes- it was already turning orange, but it was still good so pickled it is.

There is this gray area between planting too many and not enough zucchini. You don't know how many will succumb to squash borers or beetles so you over plant and hope to overwhelm the pests. At THIS moment and I hate to even say it, but none of my squash have died. So, I have 2 zucchini and 3 Summer Squash plants. I got my first Summer Squash and Zucchini this week. So, guess what we're eating?

One of my favorite, easy and kid-friendly zucchini or summer squash recipes is a healthified Quesadilla. I vary the recipe depending on what I have, but generally it calls for- 1 small-med squash/zucchini, 2 green onions, 1 can drained/rinsed black beans, 1 jalapeno and some cheese. Shred the squash, sprinkle some salt over it in a colander and squeeze as much moisture as you can out of it. Today I mixed yellow squash with cilantro, 1 ear fresh corn kernels, 1 can black beans, 1 large green onion and about a cup of cheese. In a pan over medium heat place a tortilla, load up the veg mix and top with another tortilla. Lightly brown on both sides. Serve with salsa on top. It's so good even the kid thinks it isn't healthy and said "I'd better eat some applesauce so I at least have something healthy for dinner." Fooled her.
Quesadilla stuffing before.

Quesadilla after. 

No comments: